After A Week Of Rest...

Sorry for the lack of post's recently, I took my first whole week off work this year since Xmas 06, and man I needed it. In fact I could do with getting out of the UK for a bit, but I'm saving that for next year (NY & LA here I come!).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Dollop

Anyway, firstly thanks to the guys up at Dollop, Nottingham for having me come and warm up for Franz & Shape on Friday. I haven't heard much of their live stuff, mostly remixes but they sounded awesome, like an Italian version of Justice. If you're in London I suggest catching them along with Tronik Youth and Slagsmalsklubben at the Amersham Arms in New Cross this Thursday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Take That

Saturday was not my usual Saturday night, as I spent it watching Take That at the O2 Arena. I work for a merchandise company and designed most of the merchandise for the tour and produced an illustration for the tour programme. So, I took advantage of a couple of passes to see what all the fuss was about after they had sold out 48 European dates including 8 at the O2 and a further 11 dates at the M.E.N. Arena, Manchester.

And to be fair the show was very impressive. I wasn't too familiar with the latest material but, when you've grown up listening to various pop compilation tapes you can't help but recognise a couple of the earlier tracks.

The most impressive performance came from backing vocalist Lloyd Wade. He featured on a couple of tracks and played Saxophone on one but, notably sung Gnarls Barkley's lyrics to "Crazy" as a mixed outro to "Relight My Fire".

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Mel Ramos: Hunt For The Best

I also took some time out last week to visit the National Portrait gallery to see the Pop Art Portraits exhibition and the Photographic Portrait Prize 2007 nominations.

I was expecting a larger selection of work for the Pop Art Portraits exhibition but I didn't leave dissapointed. It featured a selection of original art from the likes of Andy Warhol, Peter Blake, Richard Hamilton and Eduardo Paolozzi to name a few. But I was most impressed with the work of Mel Ramos. I love illustrating women and Ramos is an artist who has made a living from doing just this. His work reminds me of Hajime Sorayama, another of my favorite artists who, unfortunatly did not not feature in this exhibition.

The Photographic Portrait Prize 2007 nominations were beautiful as well. I can stare at some photographs for hours just absorbing the detail. There was certainly a good selection on display to keep me entertained.

Pop Art Portraits is exhibiting until 20th January '08
Photographic Portrait Prize 2007 is exhibiting until 24th February '08
National Portrait Gallery Website

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't posted any music for a while, don't worry i'm amalgamating a selection to post shortly.

0 comments: