Introducing: Kid Color


Kyle Woods aka Kid Color is a DJ & producer from southern California currently residing in Chicago. He sent me a brilliant mixtape (below) the other day along with a few remixes he's triumphed so I thought I'd better find out more about this eager beaver currently making all the right moves in the Windy City.

So how long have you been Djing?
I've been DJing for about a year and a half. I was first inspired to buy turntables after seeing Steve Aoki & Blake Miller perform as Weird Science in LA. There's a video of that exact show on youtube where you can see me just dancing as though my life depended on it – probably about 40-45 seconds into it. It was after that when I decided that I wanted to do exactly what they were doing. So that whole summer, I locked myself in my room and taught myself everything. I did my research on anything I could get my hands on about DJing – reading anything by Frank Broughton & Bill Brewster, studying tons of different DJs' mixes, learning how to beat match on German minimal vinyl I found on sale at Amoeba music - I couldn't get enough. I figured everything would be necessary in order to help make me evolve into the kind of DJ I wanted to be.

Where did your DJ name come from?
I wanted my name to be simple but somehow give the overall vibe and aesthetic of my music and performance. As I was starting to produce and DJ, I was super influenced by Steve Aoki whose stage name is Kid Millionaire. I actually had the chance to meet him a couple times, as I was just starting out, and he was actually the one who helped point me in the direction of the Chicago crew Dark Wave Disco, who I actually DJ with today. So the "Kid" part is actually my way of paying homage to him. Now "Color" just came from the image in my head of when I would think about the kind of parties I wanted to DJ – colorful lights, good energy, definitely disco influenced.

Can you name a record that first sparked your interest in dance music?
Well, I've always loved music that gives off that "dance energy". The very first cassettes I ever owned as a kid all shared the same poppy-house-dance vibe: Jock Jams, Ace of Base, and those "Drew's Famous" dance compilations you can buy at any party supply stores (www.tutm.com). Though the record that really made realize that I wanted my life to involve dance music as much as possible was Daft Punk's "Homework". If we want to get specific, it was the song "Phoenix" that really did it for me. When I used to work for Filter Magazine, I would have to drive an hour every day from Orange County to Los Angeles, and for one whole summer I would listen to the entire album of "Homework" back and forth every day. And whenever it got to "Phoenix" I couldn't stop listening and would just have to play it over and over. This was the main reason why I used the song in "Phoenix B-O-O-T-AY" because it really was the one song I can credit that help made me who I am today.

Do you have any residencies or events you organise or play regularly?
Since moving to Chicago, I've had the chance to work with different promoters and help out with different parties. My good friend Skyler and I are starting a new monthly night at Debonair Social Club, which is going to be super fun and will be starting this month. Dark Wave Disco and I started up a monthly 18+ called Blow The Speakers which had a great turn out through had to go on a small break and will be brought back in sometime August. Not to mention Flosstradamus just had me play a party with them last week and I guess that is going to turn into a monthly party as well. Chicago's the place to be this summer!

Which is your favorite club night/venue to play and why?
There's so many clubs in Chicago, it's tough to choose. Definitely my favorite is Debonair Social Club, just 'cuz everyone that goes there are my good friends, so it's just a fun place to perform or just hang out. But if anything, I love playing at venues like Subterranean & The Abbey more than clubs just because it really makes the night feel much more like an event rather than just a usual club night. It also gives the DJ a much better connection with the audience. With all the high energy, strangers sweat all over you, and everyone dancing less than a foot away from you, it's honestly the closest thing a venue can get to a house party. And let me just add, house parties to me will always hold a special place in my heart.

How/when did you first begin making music?
I first received an electric guitar when I was nine years old. Like every kid that's ever picked up a guitar, I started and joined different bands all up through high school. I then developed a taste for the bass guitar and soon moved onto drums. It wasn't until the beginning of my Junior year when I started to work with any sort of electronic music. It was then when I did my first remix, which was of Interpol's "Obstacle 1" which will always be one of my favorite tracks.

Do you produce original material as well as remix other artists and make bootlegs?
I'm always down for remixing artists, so if you know any interested send them my way! And I'm actually in the process of working on an EP with original material. It just feels like the next step to take for myself. Things have been working out great so far. People got into my Bangers & Cash/Daft Punk mixes and the reception I've been getting from Carded & DisCarded has been better than I could imagine. There's no name for the EP yet, but I can tell you that it'll be heavily influenced by Funk Legacy, Surkin, De La Soul, Soulwax & Siriusmo.

Who would you most like to work with on a track and why?
As far as producers go, I would have to say Surkin or Siriusmo. The reason I'd want to work with Surkin is 'cuz his original production is so universal on the dance floor it's incredible. The quality in his material is so fresh, his sound is really one step ahead of the game. And as far as Siriusmo goes, once you hear his signature beats and bass lines, they'll never leave your head. It's about time he finds a MC and just takes over the music scene. Have you heard the potential for a verse on his track "WOW!"? Or even the B-side track "Discosau"? I have full faith he is going to bring some great material to the dance scene in the next year or so.

Now if I could choose an MC to work with, it'd be either Spank Rock's Name Juwan or The Go! Team's Ninja. Both of them have some of the most unbelievable style and flow. Not to mention, both of them put on amazing live shows. Whenever you see them perform, the only question in your head is, "How can one person be so cool?"

But of course there's a ton of Chicago acts I'd love to work with – Hollywood Holt, Ill-Eagle, Vyle, He Say, She Say, the list can go on forever.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
Making a career out of something I love doing. And if that "something" happens to be DJing then great, as a matter of fact, I'd love for it to be that, but there's plenty of things I have in store to accomplish over the next decade that could lead me in any direction – the Kid Color EP, starting a magazine, touring, writing short stories and video blogging – anything can lead me to a new point in life, but if I end up still DJing, hell I'd love it no matter what. Oh, I also plan on creating & producing my own response to one of my favorite albums of all time, The Avalanches' "Since I Left You", sometime in my life. So check that out by 2K18.

What are your plans for 2008?
I'm planning on finishing up 2008 with a bang. I'm producing my first EP that should be ready to be released by the end of the year and I'm working on a tour for sometime before Winter. There's a ton of different things still up in the air as for 2008. There's some talk that I might do a little tour DJing for an MC I know we all love, but since it's still unconfirmed I don't want to namedrop. I'd would also love to make it over to London to see how the scene was over there on the other side of the pond. Other than that, I'm just planning on just doing what I do best, working hard, and seeing what comes from it.



Kid Color - Carded & DisCarded.mp3 (zshare)

1. Animal Collective – For Reverend Green (Kid Color edit)
2. Ghostface Killah – Charlie Brown (Yuksek Remix)
3. The Black Ghosts – Face (Philipe De Boyar Remix)
4. Simian Mobile Disco – Hot Dog
5. Bobmo – To The Bobmobile
6. The Count & Sinden feat. Kid Sister – Beeper (A-Trak Remix)
7. Does It Offend You, Yeah? – Weird Science
8. Kid Color – Yo ZongaMajesty!
9. Kid Color – Phoenix B-O-O-T-A-Y
10. Chromeo – Fancy Footwork (Guns N Bombs Remix)
11. Junkie XL – Booming Right At You
12. Timbaland – Miscommunication (The Bloody Beetroots Remix)
13. Them Jeans – Lloyd vs. Yuksek (Them Jeans Blend)
14. D.I.M. – Is You (JFK Remix)
15. Kid Sister – Pro Nails (Bag Raiders Remix)
16. Kid Color – Digital Pu$$y
17. Daft Punk – Digital Love (Red Foxx's Bmore Surprise Mix)
18. Justice – D.V.N.O. (LA Riots Bootleg Remix)
19. Klaxons – Golden Skans (Switch Remix)
20. Death From Above 1979 – Sexy Results (MSTRKRFT Remix)
21. Death From Above 1979 – Sexy Results (Blake Miller Is Ruthless edit)
22. The Avalanches – Ray of Zdarlight
23. Sebastian – Ross Ross Ross
24. Kid Color – Throw Some Data On That Mix
25. MSTRKRFT – Street Justice (MSTRKRFT remix)
26. Herve & Yo Majesty – Get Low Club Action (Scattermish Timid Fuckup edit)
27. Cut Copy – Lights & Music (Boys Noize Happy Birthday Remix)

Bonus beats:

Kid Color - Phoenix B-O-O-T-A-Y (Daft Punk vs. Bangers & Cash).mp3 (mediafire)
Kid Color - Digital Pu$$y (Daft Punk vs. Bangers & Cash).mp3 (mediafire)
Kid Color - YO ZongaMAJESTY! (Yo Majesty vs. Zongamin).mp3 (mediafire)
Interpol - Obstacle 1 (Kid Color's She Can Readmix).mp3 (mediafire)

Kid Color Myspace
Kid Color Website

0 comments: